Posted by Brian McCullough
I’ve just run across a great blog for the first time: The Public Speaking Blog.
It’s exactly what you hope it would be: a comprehensive examination of all techniques Toastmaster-y.
I found an exceptional post on giving presentations that is a must-read for all working professionals who occasionally need to stand and deliver. It’s about how to kick things off.
If you’re not good a public speaking, making a presentation is sort of like making out for the first time: once you get things going, you know what to do and everything is fine. But starting things off… that’s the awkward part.
The post goes into great detail describing 7 techniques you can do to get your presentation rolling:
1. Open with a humorous/emotional story that leads to your key message
2. Ask a question that gets us thinking
3. Do a demonstration that leads to your message
4. Shock ‘em with facts and numbers
5. Start off with a cartoon or video, funny is optional
7. Do something different (or crazy)!
No related posts.